A German Oak is to be planted in Drexel Park and dedicated in the memory of Werner Krandick on Tuesday, October 2. The actual planting ceremony will take place at 2 pm and will be preceded by an informal gathering and serving of refreshments at 1:30. All Werner’s many friends are invited to attend.
Werner, a Drexel U professor in computer sciences and a Wanderer and avid athlete, was loved by virtually everyone who knew him. He collapsed this past March while bicycling and never regained consciousness.
Drexel Park is located between 31st and 32nd Streets and Powelton Avenue and Baring Street. The dedication ceremony has been arranged by Drexel University.
Fund raising efforts this summer have paid for the tree and for the creation of a $5,000 scholarship fund in Werner’s name at Drexel University.
Werner’s wife Petra will be at the tree planting as well as other family members.
- Tuesday October 2nd, 2012 at Drexel University
- 1:30 pm-Informal meet-and-greet; light refreshments will be served
- 2:00 pm-Ceremony begins
- Greeting: Drexel University Representative
- Remembrance: Mrs. Petra Krandick and guests
- Tree Planting: Mrs. Krandick, Drexel representative, invited guests
- 3:00 pm-Ceremony concludes
The service will be held at Drexel University’s “Drexel Park”, located between 31st & 32nd Streets and Powelton Avenue & Baring Street. (map »)
There will be reserved on-street parking on Baring Street between 31st & 32nd Streets for five vehicles. You may also look for additional on street parking near the park.
Guests utilizing the Drexel Garage will need to provide their parking space number to the Parking Office on their way out of the garage, and they will not be charged for parking. Please be sure to mention you are with the Krandick Tree Planting event.
The parking office is located at the base of the elevators as you exit the building .
To reach Drexel Park from the Drexel Garage:
- Exit the Garage on 34th Street and turn right.
- Go ½ block to Market Street and turn right.
- Proceed down Market Street to 32nd Street and turn left.
- Proceed down 32nd Street for approximately 6 blocks. 32nd Street will dead end at Drexel Park.
- This walk will take approximately 15 minutes.
Please enter Drexel Park from any entrance and walk toward the North side of the park (Baring Street). There will be a tent marking the ceremony location.