hdr

official sponsors
crossfit philly
clif bar
2 mile surf shop

Home & Current News   Old News (pre 2008)
July 2002     

< previous

2 of 3

next >

Interview with Ironman Bernie Brosnan

The Wanderers have developed a reputation over the past two years for being athletic trouble shooters. Wanderers seem to only sign up for events that are tough and challenging. However, Bernie Brosnan has now accepted a challenge that makes all other Wanderers look like wimps. Bernie, who is from Holland, Michigan, has entered the Wisconsin Ironman on September 15.

Bernie made his club debut on the ill-fated Wanderers team which got lost out on the course during the Dances with Dirt Relay in September, 2001. The Water Stop talked with the club’s very own Ironman recently to find out how he does it.

W.S. First off, how did you get the crazy idea of entering an Ironman competition?

B.B. I enjoy being by myself while at the same time causing great pain to my body. Actually, I have several friends that I train/race with that have finished Ironman races. We have committed to each other that we will all finish at least one, and we train with each other towards that end. I also am the sort of person that likes to take things to their limit.

W.S.Tell us a little about your training schedule.

B.B. I train about 5 days a week. For shorter distance triathlons there is more speed work but for Ironman it is all about the aerobic engine. I ran the Martian Marathon this March to develop my running base and to mentally know that I can finish that distance. I am a strong swimmer, so I only spend about 2 days a week in the pool. I normally will do between 2500-3000 meters. I have been biking about 75-100 miles a week. I will probably do about 6 100 mile rides in my training. I am enrolled in an Ironman Wisconsin camp that will take place in July. I am almost more excited about that than the race.

W.S. Have you updated your will?

B.B. Now that would be negative thinking. There is no room for that.

W.S. You certainly proved your running credentials at he Dances with Dirt relay and we know you have a strong mountain biking background, how about swimming? Can you float?

B.B.Thanks for the compliment. You can’t have this much fat without having buoyancy. I am actually a strong swimmer. I am usually in the top 20 of my age group out of the water.

W.S. Are you going to shave your legs?

B.B.Of course, my legs are too sexy to hide behind all of that hair. (ed.note: Pieman also shaves his legs to get that competitive edge.)

W.S.What time are you shooting for in the race?

B.B.I am looking to go about 13-14 hours. I figure that I can do the swim in about 1:15. I think I can average 16 mph on the bike which will bring us to 8:15. Add about 15 minutes for transitions we are at 8:30. Then we will see about the marathon. I think that it is possible for me to go 10 minute miles on the run. I have done it in training. That brings us right to the 13 hour mark.

W.S.The swimming portion of the competition will be in a Wisconsin lake in mid-September. Are you planning on wearing a wet suit?

B.B.The race directors are recommending wetsuits because the water temp can get down into the 60’s in Lake Monona that time of year. But I was going to wear one anyway just because it makes me faster.

W.S. What are you going to eat and drink during the race to keep from getting depleted?

B.B. Nutrition/hydration is the key. I have read that most people who don’t finish ultra events don’t finish because they are dehydrated or under-nourished (BONK) not because they are under trained. I am experimenting now with different sports drinks. I like Gu and it seems to work for me. I also like Gatorade. I have started using a Camelback while biking and I was going to try some of the Gu2O in that. Bananas and peanut butter and honey sandwiches will be in my special needs bags.

W.S. No doughnuts?

B.B. No doughnuts!

W.S. Would you recommend the Ironman to any other members of the Wanderers Running Club?

B.B. Yes, Scott Quitel.

© Copyright 2001-2008
wissahickon wanderers
running club

[top]

footer