official sponsors
crossfit philly
clif bar
2 mile surf shop

Home & Current News   Old News (pre 2008)

Wanderers Take Care of Business at Philadelphia Marathon

Race Report (below)  |  Photos set 1 of 2 (below)   |  Photos set 2 of 2 >>

Sunday, November 19, was a very busy day for the Wissahickon Wanderers. Out on the course, there was yet another epic performance produced by Wanderer runners. Then there was the heavy lifting generated by Wanderers and assorted friends at the 18/22 mile water stop.

First, the marathon details. Matt sped to a 50th place finish in a field of more than 6,000 in a time of 2:41. Matt was a little disappointed in his time and said the race was hard work right from the first mile. But he battled the whole, and made all Wanderers proud.

Chris V. and Polly posted fantastic results in their first marathons. Chris came in 563rd in a time of 3:14:59, while Polly was 130th woman in 3:28:19. Not only that, they looked like they were having fun while out on the course.

Megan, Farah, Dennis and Ken all produced characteristically solid performances. Megan finished in 4:12 followed shortly afterwards by Farah in 4:13. Marathon strongman Dennis did it again, finishing yet another marathon, this time in 4:56:15. Ken, after a 10-year lay-off, finished in 5:20 and looked very good in the process.

Wanderer relay specialists Bob Alig and Scott Quitel kept the pace as well. Bob finished in 3:46:30, and Scott was timed in 4:53:03.

Meanwhile, at the 18/22 mark, the water station was turned into a real boiler room. Because of the late delivery of water and tables, the Wanderer support crew, ably assisted by the Mt. Airy Track Club and members of the New Freedom Striders, were not able to prepare enough cups of water and Gatorade in advance, and were hard pressed to keep up with the runners once the pack moved through. With a large volume of runners both going out at the 18-mile mark and coming back at the 22-mile mark, it was all hands on deck, with volunteers mixing Gatorade, pouring water and Gatorade, and then offering drinks to the runners. The pace was wicked for more than an hour. Somehow, we did it!!

There were some heroic performances. A marathon runner, only identified as Moose  from Norristown, couldn’t continue at the 22-mile mark because of a pulled muscle. But Moose was not through for the day!! He jumped behind the water table to help the Wanderers and started mixing and pouring drinks like a dervish for almost an hour as the runners came through. Wanderers worked really hard at the water table, and were matched by the fantastic job turned in by the volunteers from the Mt. Airy Track Club and the New Freedom Striders.

Then to top off a great day, it was Chris V.’s 30th birthday!!!

Photos Set 1 of 2 (below)  |  Photos Set 2 of 2 >>

Charmaine Moore reported early to unload water.

The first job for the Wanderers support team was to unload the
supply truck. No problem when this task is left in the capable
hands of Teri Bizzle of the Mt. Airy Track Club and Adam.

The Kenyans flew through the water station
first. No water, no Gatorade, pure running!

It is hard to believe that all this water and Gatorade neatly
stacked vanished once the main pack of runners arrived
leaving the water stop staffers scrambling to keep up.

Melanie has things totally under control as
she prepares for the arrival of the runners.

Pat and Fred did it all at the water stop, setting up, later
handing out Gatorade, and then cleaning up as well.

Fred put in a long day at the water table. Here
he takes a quick coffee and doughnut break.

Maureen was a star at the water table.

Matt was the first Wanderer through at the 18 mile mark.

MORE PHOTOS (set 2 of 2) >>

Philadelphia Marathon Links:



<- go to the last page  |  old news reports (pre 2008) »  |  current news »

© Copyright 2001-2008
wissahickon wanderers
running club